on Premixed Turbulent Flames
Meeting Site :Tokyo
Green Hotel Ochanomizu
Local Host: Prof. Akira Yoshida, Tokyo Denki University
Responses to Questionnaire:
Click here to download a file with the answers to our questionnaire.
July 19, 2002
9:00 - 12:30 Session 1
Discussion Leader: Fred Gouldin
1) Review the regime diagram and independent variables necessary to define regimes.
2) Clarification of the definitions of various quantities proposed as measures of global turbulent combustion rates, i.e. turbulent burning speed and burning rate integral, and their relationship to local reaction rates and consumption speed.
"Prehistory of regime diagram in Russia and influence on Western interpretation" Zimont
"Insight on displacement flame speed gained from industrial low-swirl burners" Cheng
"Contribution to the instantaneous flame front thickness controversy in turbulent premixed flames" Iskender Gökalp and David Pavé
12:30 - 14:00 Lunch
14:00 - 17:30 Session 2
Discussion Leader: Robert Cheng
3) Discussion of the relative merits of different laboratory flame configurations for measuring global turbulent combustion rate parameters and velocity statistics.
4) Discussion of LES and other numerical methods applied to premixed flames --modeling challenges and measurement needs.
"Bending effect of burning velocity" Driscoll
"Two-dimensional two-sheet Rayleigh scattering measurements in stagnation-type premixed flames." YC Chen
"Findings from Cross-plan imaging" Gouldin
"Characteristics of High-Pressure, High-Temperature Turbulent Premixed Flames" Kobayashi
July 20, 2002
9:00 - 12:30 Session 3
Discussion Leader: Jim Driscoll
5) Discussion of progress on the premixed flame website and on web-accessible experimental database. We will discuss the data selection process and acceptance criteria.
"Numerical Simulation of Premixed Turbulent Methane Combustion" Marc Day
"Stochastic Algorithms for Analysis of Flame Simulations" Bell